A Helpful Moment

I've been thinking a lot, lately, about how "helpfulness" has become a bit of a lost art. And now when I come across it, I'm completely blown away. This isn't about friendliness. I encounter friendly folks every day. But helpful, well, not as much.

My most recent encounter with helpfulness was when ordering a "get well" gift for a loved one who has been battling cancer. I remembered the beautiful packaging and the soothing herbal teas of The Queen's Teapothecary, based out of Colorado Springs, CO, and thought that would be just the thing. After I placed my order, I followed up with an email to the owner, Mandalyn King, to see if she would be willing to include a note in the package so that the recipient would know who the package came from.

Not only did Mandalyn agree with enthusiasm, she followed up with this:

Jen,

I've attached a picture of S___'s gift box, before it gets extra crinkle paper for protection. It's ready and will ship out today. I've added The Healer's Immunity blend, along with some handmade soap and a lavender sachet, as little gifts from me. I do hope this box will bring her strength and peace. :)
Get Well Package from The Queen's Teapothecary
 I was so touched by her empathy and generosity! The fact that she not only was happy to fulfill my request, but to take it a step further with her a few extra touches... Well, even now it leaves me nearly speechless. And so very grateful.

There are so many little things we can do to be helpful to those we interact with. These are some things I observed while travelling during the past 3 weeks:

  • Holding the door for the person coming in behind you
  • Walking someone toward or to the place they're looking for, rather than just pointing
  • Offering to hold someone's cup of coffee (or tea) while they put their suitcase in the overhead compartment
  • Reading a menu aloud for someone who can't find their reading glasses
  • Retrieving and returning something that another person dropped
These were all small things, but for the person on the receiving end, it just made their day. 

Thank you, Mandalyn, for making my day and my family's day. Your helpfulness is something I won't soon forget!

Some of my personal favorites from The Queen's Teapothecary:

Comments