A Park on Fremont Moment

Spoiler Alert!

This musing has absolutely nothing to do with tea.

But it was one of the cooler venues I've ever visited, and so you're stuck with me waxing poetic about it. It's a little place called Park on Fremont in Las Vegas, Nevada. When you're in Vegas as often as my husband and I, it's pretty exciting to find out about off-the-beaten-path restaurants from locals. This was one such place. Just steps away from the "Fremont Experience," (which I will say is the "B" side of Las Vegas tourism, currently), is this charming, kooky restaurant. It somehow blends into its surroundings, so we walked by it 3 full times before we realized THAT cute little entryway was indeed the place. Upon entering, it's as though you've stepped into the land of Oz. Only more bizarre.


The decor is kind of like Alice in Wonderland meets Lady Gaga (Yes, for the girl in the portrait, "skirt steak" has taken on an entirely new meaning).

Taxidermy runs rampant throughout, though I'm not 100% sure all of the animals represented can lay claim to all their original parts.


And while weird and wonderful, it is incredibly casual and cozy with friendly, helpful servers. Even the manager stopped by and asked how things were. I noticed he stopped and chatted with each table in a casual, neighborly way.

Everyone had been talking about the Grapefruit beer (Steigl Grapefruit), so of course we had to try that.


Served in a canning jar, this brew was dangerously delicious and refreshing. I could see that this is yet one more attraction in Vegas that could keep you sitting at a table for hours. A glance at the drink menu gives you a clearer understanding of the owner's sense of humor.



I was so obsessed with the steak salad I ordered, that I can't recall at all what Gene ordered. All I know is that it was good, and I don't think you could go wrong with any burger or salad you select. Everything comes served in a basket with a "newspaper" lining, giving it that picnic-in-the-park kind of feel.

 
Everywhere you look, there's something that makes you do a double take. Even in the ladies room.
 


A peek through the back window made me wish we were coming back that evening. I can picture myself very comfortable installed at any of these outdoor tables.

 
And though I mentioned before this venue had nothing whatsoever to do with tea, they did have a fine collection of china...


Next time you're in Vegas, do yourself a favor and venture away from the Strip for lunch or dinner. I know a spot. Tell them I sent you. (They'll have no idea what you're talking about, but I bet they'll smile and nod and seat you anyway.)

To find Park On Fremont:
506 E Fremont
Las Vegas, NV 89101
  
(702) 834-3160

Comments