A Persian Princess Moment

It finally happened! But let me back up a little.

This hobby of mine - to write about tea moments - has led to the unexpectedly delightful result of tea people sending me samples of tea. Edie has seen the packages arrive. She has even asked for the occasional sip from my cup. But it wasn't until yesterday that she suddenly (and much to my surprise and delight) asked if she could taste the newest arrivals with me!

It started when we came home from our vacation in Boise to quite a large collection of mail. Among the contents was a box from The Devotea. He had sent me 5 samples of his new tea collection, and I couldn't wait to try them out. It made it all the more exciting when Edie asked if she could try them out too. So I began reading her the names of the blends. When I came to the name, "Persian Princess," she yelled out, "That one!"

Of course.

And so, for the first time in her 4 years, my daughter asked (of her own accord) to take part in a tea moment with me.

To highlight the event, I let her choose the tea pot and tea cups. When she chose the pansies all around, I couldn't help myself. I had to get out the matching sugar and creamer, too! And fill the sugar bowl with sugar cubes. And bring out the little tea spoons. And the sugar tongs.

Of course.



I poured our cups, though I made hers according to the Little House on the Prairie description of "cambric tea" - more than a splash of actual tea, with lots of milk and sugar. Two lumps, at her request.


And without me even reading the description of the tea, she seemed to know exactly what to do. Either that, or she was enamored of the sugar cubes and couldn't help herself. In any case, she put the sugar lump in her mouth as she sipped her tea.
"A strong black tea designed to be drunk in the old-fashioned Persian court manner, with a lump of sugar held between the teeth and the tea sipped over it."

Yep. That's my Princess.

And the tea! Let's not forget that! I've always suspected The Devotea was a kindred spirit, and this confirms it. Persian Princess is a black tea blend that packs a wallop! This princess is no shrinking violet! Bold, to the brink of mild fermentation, I may go as far to describe it as leaning toward Puerh. As Edie will attest, it is robust enough to stand up very well to milk and sugar. Though I prefer mine black, I admit I admire a Princess who can be both tough and tender.

Our tea conversation consisted of pondering what color hair the Persian Princess might have (red), what color eyes (brown), color of dress (blue), type of pet (cat, with long, brown fur), and what her favorite colors might be (pink and purple). And while this tea has a serious nature, our moment was anything but. Which is exactly what I think The Devotea would appreciate.

I don't want to tempt fate and hope this is just the first of many, many Mother - Daughter tea moments in our house... but that's exactly what I do hope.

Comments

  1. I don't know what I love more -- the moment, the pictures, or the description of that tea. (Packs a wallop is right!) I love reading your stories and I'm always glad for these glimpses into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katrina. That means a great deal to me!

      Delete
  2. Perhaps she is a warrior princess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (... of course!)

    A great tea moment (with your daughter)!
    And the beginning of a new era!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.: I have the same tea spoons! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abadia! How funny that we have the same tea spoons. They are so cute, aren't they?

      Delete
    2. Really funny!
      I posted a foto on your facebook wall!

      Delete
  5. Love this. Beautiful blog post, super-sweet little tea drinking Miss and a great write-up. Nice to see you're already working on TheDevotea's tea fan club, for the years to come.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, laying important tea-drinking foundation while she's young!

      Delete

Post a Comment