A Moment of New Beginnings

She's here! At long last! Anne Marie Kathleen arrived on March 13th. And so life begins again after 10 months of nausea and inactivity. As with Edie, the moment after delivery, all nausea was gone. Believe me - it is double the joy and double the excitement.

One of the things I missed, as I've shared, is the enjoyment of a cup of tea. For whatever reason, tea did not taste as it should, and more often than not, I just couldn't drink it. I came to the hospital prepared, however. I brought a tea infuser and a few choice selections. My first morning after delivery, I ordered hot water and settled in for my first cup of tea.

For this moment, I chose Maharajah, a single estate Assam from American Tea Room. This had been an old standby for me because of its smooth, full-bodied character. And it did not disappoint. I was nervous about this first sip, wondering if my taste buds had been damaged forever. However, in that moment, it was like reconnecting with an old friend. Rich, malty, and strong, the royal Maharajah made a triumphant return to my palate! The months of deprivation and stress melted away, and I felt a little indulgent knowing that I was probably making far too big a deal about being able to enjoy tea once again.

The thing is, it wasn't just about tea. The past three years have been about trying to produce a sibling for our daughter. Despite the reality shows of how easy it is to be "16 and Pregnant," having a baby is not as easy to do for some women. I happen to be one of those women. So, 3 years of focusing on this project. 3 years of, at some points, feeling like a science experiment. And finally... Success. Pregnancy! Only the joy was immediately sucked out because of day after day after day of nausea, no appetite, and becoming almost completely sedentary. For nearly a year, Gene functioned like a single parent, taking Edie to the park, to birthday parties, on errands. Edie got creative in how to spend time with me. She'd ask me to come and "play" in her room, which meant she would usher me to her own bed and bring me a book to read so I could at least be with her while she played alone. She's 3, by the way. Her acceptance of the situation was nearly heartbreaking to me. Being able to enjoy tea was just confirmation that I could once again enjoy life. Drinking, eating, walking. Playing. Hugging. Being with my family and creating fun and happy memories.

I had a realization the other day of completeness. I don't know that I've felt it quite that way before. And if the feeling is fleeting, so be it. But I had this flash that my life was now in full swing, that I have all I need and want. A loving husband, two beautiful daughters, a supportive and wonderful family network, an incredible community of neighbors and friends, a comfortable home, a job I enjoy. In this moment, I have it all. My cup overflows. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Comments

  1. i LOVE this post...for so many reasons!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been the mommy-on-the-couch-for-a-year I almost cried reading this post. Yes, yes, and YES! So happy that the hard parts of the last few years are behind you and delighted that your sweet family is now complete. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears of special joy. Congrats again. The photo of you and the girls is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you and your beautiful family. You look positively blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!
    And thank you for this beautiful photo!
    You all look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the wonderful comments! You have all been so supportive over the last several months and I am so grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment