A Key Introduction Moment

The weather is glorious today! Blue skies, sunny, beautiful! I'm back to the Anastasia blend from American Tea Room with a nod to its floral-infused scent. It's helping me feel a little better about the fact that I can't actually be outdoors enjoying my own roses in the garden.


I guess I just need to bring more inside. (Yes, there are little sprigs of lavendar there too).  Which brings me to mind of how to bring different characters together and be able to create a chemistry that will work. I'm no floral arranger, but sometimes there are flowers and greenery that are just so conflicting, they absolutely can not be contained in the same vase. I'm continuing to work through this process of what characters truly live harmoniously in this mystery "vase," so to speak.

As they were ushered into a grand living room filled with several guests who had already arrived, Drew sucked in her breath at the sight of the Lumberjack from the hotel. Dr. Rico nearly bowled her over, as he hadn’t seen her stop in her tracks.
“So sorry Drew! I wasn’t looking where I was going.” He steadied her and Angela looked perturbed at her husband until she saw what the obstruction was.
“Oh, I’m so sorry! I …”  But Anatoli burst into the room with open arms before Drew could finish.
“Welcome to my home! Come, come.” He waved them in as a couple of young women brought around trays of champagne.
“I like these people,” Mimi laughed to Esther. “Always ready to drink!”
In all the serving and jostling as the room filled, Drew looked up and saw him standing next to her, an amused smile on his face. Was she seeing things, or were his eyes actually twinkling?
“Fancy meeting you here,” he said, warmly. “We weren’t introduced properly before.  I’m Dave Armstrong.” He held out his hand.
“Nice to meet you, Dave. I’m Drew Belmonde.” It was all she could do to maintain the cool, detached Orange County demeanor she had cultivated so carefully for so many years. She took his hand, delighted that despite her musings of his occupation, his hands were not calloused at all. But they were strong.
“What’s your connection to our host. He has been rather cryptic.”
Drew started to explain, when Anatoli again broke through the crowd’s dull roar.
“And, of course we are so honored to have in my home, one of world’s brightest stars. My friends, my guests, I present to you my dearest friend, Caitlin O’Neil.”
The group burst into applause, though Drew noticed her own guests seemed to barely pantomime the gesture.  Cailtin, took Anatoli’s extended hand and drew herself to him coquettishly, offering him a red lipsticked kiss on his cheek.  She turned to the group and nodded demurely at their attention, all the while modeling her bedazzled, form-fitting, nude-colored gown a la Marilyn Monroe’s famous “Some Like it Hot” number.  Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Vica stiffen and then abruptly leave the room. Cody melted into the background, looking as if he wished he could literally do just that.

Comments

  1. We're enjoying a sunny day out here around Palm springs as well.
    Anyway, I feel like I've finally found a blog worth reading beyond my video game & tea review trash. Even more so, one worth commenting on!
    I'm adding a prominent link to your blog on our blog right now. I would recommend it to anyone.
    - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian - I take that as the highest compliment! If you ever have ideas on healthy tea treats, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment